Mclaren Super Car of the People

Full article below 

https://chasingthea.medium.com/supercar-of-the-people-bd19cc1e727


Walk with me into Camelot, a place where the impossible is possible

That’s the story I want to tell you, I want to tell you a story that requires you to suspend your disbelief, and walk with me as I make a feeble attempt to describe what it feels like to be invited to the Mclaren Technology Centre in England.

I should begin at the beginning, I should begin by telling you, that to me, the average man, this is an impossible moment. Mclaren is the David and Goliath of Racing, their story one of myth, magic, perseverance, and passion. A story of madness, inspired by speed and skill, racing a place that infects a man in what becomes the very essence of who he is.

Truly the Mclaren story is one that is human, and an endeavor into the abyss of the unknown. That’s who Roger Mclaren is to me, and that’s what the brand has become to me. Perhaps I’ll write an article on my thoughts of Roger Mclaren in the Future, but today I want to tell you why Mclaren is the brand of the people.

Imagine for a moment you’re me, a regular working class man, who has that addiction I mentioned, one of speed, one of skill, one of those who have fallen in love with the madness and magic of linking as set of turns together in a elegant dance with death.

Now imagine you’ve been invited to tour the Mclaren Technology Centre, with Amanda Mclaren (The Princess of Motorsports).

I’m not a nervous man, frankly I’d call myself rather a confident and well composed man, with pragmatic expectations. I run a small youtube channel called Chasing the Apex, this channel was designed to remove the Manufacturer Marketing hype, in the attempt to describe and communicate the Driving Experience. Why? Because every Manufacturer’s marketing, is generally hype.

They all claim bespoke creation, they all have fanatical followings akin to cultists leading each other to the slaughter to their Pagan God of motorsport. Frankly, very few people can do little more than look at photos, many even dismiss those creations as fantasy.

For some of us, we lucky mad few, we get a glimpse at purity.

I think for many Americans, even traveling to England on Holiday is a moment where we step back in time, and admire the history, and majesty of an Empire and remind ourselves, how young of a Nation we truly are. England may in fact be the last vestige of polite society that I’ve experienced, and perhaps the last that will exist. These bold people who maintain their dignity even in the most trying historic times, dating back thousands of years to their past of myth, and magic.

That by itself, is more than many will ever get to experience, add a Mclaren Technology Tour to the mix? You’d think I was King Arthur himself pulling sword from stone.

I deal with Cars, as I mentioned earlier, lots of cars, lots of high performance cars, and far more than I deserve.

Many are missing a soul, a human component, that completely engages the driver, enables them to find a moment, a nirvana of perfection. In fact there is something sterile that comes across, something almost too perfect.

You’d think that would be the same with Mclaren, and it’s not, in fact, there’s something very Human in Mclaren and after visiting the Mclaren Technology Centre, I now know why.



Comments

Popular Posts